What is Pitch Wars?
Is it another contest? Oh, no, it’s so much better.
Pitch Wars is a mentoring program where published/agented authors, editors, or industry interns choose one writer each to mentor. Mentors read the entire manuscript and offer suggestions on how to make the manuscript shine for the agent showcase. The mentor also helps edit their mentee’s pitch for the contest and their query letter for submitting to agents. Mentors can participate solo or pair up and co-mentor.
During the agent showcase, each mentee is featured on a post that includes their pitch and the first page of their manuscript. Last year, we had nearly sixty agents participate in the showcase. Participating agents view the posts and make requests. With the help of Pitch Wars 2016, more than 50 authors were offered representation with many snagging book deals shortly after the contest!
Over the past seven years, Pitch Wars has changed many lives. Countless authors have been matched with agents and even gone on to book deals and successful careers. We’re over 300 successes as of 2017!! But most importantly, Pitch Wars has grown the writing community to connect author with author, creating an atmosphere of camaraderie as we go through all stages of revision and publishing.
Writers send applications (query, first chapter, and synopsis with basic manuscript information) to four mentors who best fit their work.
Mentors read all their applications and one mentee is chosen by each mentor or set of co-mentors. Together, mentee and mentor spend about three months revising the manuscript and pitch.
Great! How do I do it?
Easy! Follow these steps:
- Find a mentor.
- Prepare your submission.
- Join in social media.
Find a mentor.
- Browse our mentors.
- Read How to decide which mentor to pitch to
Prepare your submission.
- Make sure your manuscript is finished, as polished as you can make it using critique partners, beta readers, and personal edits. (Published manuscripts will not be accepted.)
- Prepare a query letter (like the one you would send to agents). See our Resource page on how to write one.
- Write a 1-3 page synopsis. This year, a synopsis will be required for submission, and many agents request them as well. See our Resource page on how to write one.
- Create a 35-word pitch that summarizes your novel. It’s not needed during submission, but it’s good to have ready. If you’re picked, your mentor will help you with the pitch for the agent round. (Also on our Resource page!)
- Read our Submission FAQ for answers!
- Applications (query + synopsis + 1st chapter) will be sent through an easy submission form. The form will go live on August 27, 2018 at 12:01 a.m. EDT and remain open until 10 pm EDT on August 29, 2018
Join in Social Media.
- Follow twitter fun: #PitchWars
- Follow the mentors.
- Follow our official @pitchwars Twitter account for special news and treats along the way!
The Pitch Wars 2018 Schedule
- May 15, 2018 (approx): Mentor Application Window Opens
- May 30, 2018: Mentor Application Window Closes
- June 7, 2018: #PitMad Twitter Pitch Party (8AM – 8PM EDT)
- July 15, 2018: Mentors Announced
- August 14 – 27, 2018: Pitch Wars Mentor Blog Hop
- August 27, 2018 (midnight EDT): Mentee Submission Window Opens
- August 29, 2018 (10PM EDT): Mentee Submission Window Closes
- September 6, 2018:: #PitMad Twitter Pitch Party (8AM – 8PM EDT)
- October 12, 2018: Pitch Wars Mentees Announced
- February 6 – 11, 2019: Agent Showcase
- February 6: Adult entries are live on the Pitch Wars site
- February 7: MG entries are live on the Pitch Wars site
- February 8: YA entries are live on the Pitch Wars site
- December 6, 2018: #PitMad Twitter Pitch Party (8AM – 8PM EDT)