What is Pitch Wars?
Is it another contest? Oh, no, it’s so much better.
Pitch Wars is a volunteer-run mentoring program where published/agented authors, editors, or industry interns choose one writer each to mentor. Mentors read the entire manuscript and offer suggestions on how to make the manuscript shine for the agent showcase. The mentor also helps edit their mentee’s pitch for the contest and their query letter for submitting to agents. Mentors can participate solo or pair up and co-mentor.
During the agent showcase, each mentee is featured on a post that includes their pitch and the first page of their manuscript. Last year, we had 175 agents participate in the showcase. Participating agents view the posts and make requests.
Over the past nine years, Pitch Wars has changed many lives. Countless authors have been matched with agents and even gone on to book deals and successful careers. We’re over 500 successes as of 2020!! But most importantly, Pitch Wars has grown the writing community to connect author with author, creating an atmosphere of camaraderie as we go through all stages of revision and publishing.
Writers send applications (query, first chapter, and synopsis with basic manuscript information) to four mentors who best fit their work.
Mentors read all their applications and one mentee is chosen by each mentor or set of co-mentors. Together, mentee and mentor spend about three months revising the manuscript and pitch.
Great! How do I do it?
Easy! Follow these steps:
- Review the schedule below.
- Find a mentor.
- Prepare your submission.
- Join in social media. (optional)
Find a mentor.
- Browse our mentors’ wishlists. (TBA September 11)
- Read How to decide which mentor to pitch to
Prepare your submission.
- Make sure your manuscript is finished, as polished as you can make it using critique partners, beta readers, and personal edits. (Published manuscripts will not be accepted.)
- Prepare a query letter (like the one you would send to agents). See our Resource page on how to write one.
- Write a 1 page single-spaced synopsis. This year, a synopsis will be required for submission, and many agents request them as well. See our Resource page on how to write one.
- Create a 35-word pitch that summarizes your novel. It’s not needed during submission, but it’s good to have ready. If you’re picked, your mentor will help you with the pitch for the agent round. (Also on our Resource page!)
- Add email@example.com to your email address book or whitelist to ensure you receive the confirmation email.
- Read our Submission FAQ for answers!
- Applications (query + synopsis + 1st chapter) will be sent through an easy submission form.
Join in Social Media.
- Follow twitter fun: #PitchWars
- Follow the mentors.
- Follow our official @pitchwars Twitter account for special news and treats along the way!
- Join the Pitch Wars forum.
The Pitch Wars 2021 Schedule
- June 3, 2021: #PitMad Twitter Pitch Party (8AM – 8PM EDT)
- June 21, 2021: Mentor Application Window Opens
- July 7, 2021: Mentor Application Window Closes
- August 9, 2021: Mentors Announced
- September 2, 2021: #PitMad Twitter Pitch Party (8AM – 8PM EDT)
- September 11-25, 2021: Pitch Wars Mentor Wishlist Blog Hop
- September 26, 2021 (12:01 pm EDT): Mentee Submission Window Opens
- September 30, 2021 (10PM EDT): Mentee Submission Window Closes
- November 6, 2021: Pitch Wars Mentees Announced
- December 2, 2021: #PitMad Twitter Pitch Party (8AM – 8PM EST)
- February 9-14, 2022: Agent Showcase
- February 9: Adult entries are live on the Pitch Wars site
- February 10: MG entries are live on the Pitch Wars site
- February 11: YA entries are live on the Pitch Wars site
Any person requiring special accommodations to participate in any part of Pitch Wars due to a disability may arrange for accommodations by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.