Manuscript Status: Finished
Mentor Name: Erin Foster Hartley
Mentee Name: Neicole M. Crepeau
Title: DECODING EMMA
Category: Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary with speculative elements
Word Count: 74,000 words
Prototype cyborg Delta has a hundred days to fit into human society undetected or be dismantled. To help, her creators have given her an AI based on the memories of a dead girl. When the AI turns on her and tries to sabotage their mission, Delta must discover how she was created and help the AI come to peace with it. Otherwise, neither she nor this last echo of the girl will survive. WESTWORLD meets WE WERE LIARS.
There’s a dead girl in my head. Most of the time, she’s quiet. But sometimes her voice drifts up, surfaced by my cyborg programming to provide momentary guidance or an all too human insight.
Relax, she says now. Like that’s possible.
Three minutes until my first test: stepping from my room and walking the Institute’s halls to the handler’s office. The second hand on the clock stutters a full circle as I run through my calculations.
Chances I’ll succeed: 56.29%. Chances I’ll flee to my room: 43.71%. Or maybe I’ll just drop midway in a puddle of fear.
Breathe, Emma says. Or rather, the Emma AI—a program based on the memories of a seventeen-year old girl. That’s me, cyborg Delta Phoenix, a mix of dead-girl memories, code, and a modified human body. I’m a walking marvel—except I’m scared witless to go fifty-three yards alone.
I push myself up from the bed, then teeter, gnawing on a nail bitten to the quick. How can they think I’m ready? I haven’t even been awake a month. Though, waking is a poor analogy for my many-day climb from the dark depths of unconsciousness, kicking up through layers of awareness in a kind of reverse drowning.
Now, here I am, barely treading water.
But you are here.
This sounds great! I’d love to see the full. Please send to https://querymanager.com/query/KaitlynJohnson/Contests with synopsis and PitchWars in the referral page.
I love this! Please query me and upload the full manuscript here: QueryMe.online/devinequeries/PitchWars
This looks great! It I’d love to take a look.
Please send the query in the body of the email + full manuscript as a Word attachment to email@example.com with “Pitch Wars request” in the subject.
I was super intrigued by your pitch and sample and definitely want to read more of this!! Please send me your query and first 50 pages, with the subject “PITCHWARS REQUEST,” to carrie(at)prospectagency(dot)com. Thank you and excited to see more!
This is the COOLEST idea. I’d love to read more. Please send the full manuscript as a word document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!!
Yooo this is SUCH a cool idea! I’d love to read the full manuscript. Would you send it as a word document to email@example.com, include “PITCH WARS” in the subject line, and a synopsis if you have it? Thanks, so excited to dive in!
I would love to read this one! Please send the full ms as a word doc to firstname.lastname@example.org
I love the premise here so much – great comps, but also reminds me of Bladerunner and The Host in the best ways. I can’t wait to read the full. Please send an one email to email@example.com with PITCH WARS UPLOAD in the subject line. We will reply with our upload instructions, and then all the interested NLA agents will read and consider your manuscript. Thank you!
Hello, Neicole ,
I’d love to keep reading DECODING EMMA. Would you please send a sample of about 75 pages via this form?
All my best,
Steven Salpeter | Curtis Brown, Ltd. | Ten Astor Place | New York, NY 100
Neicole, I would love to read more! Please send the full manuscript as a Word doc or PDF attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also include your query letter in the body of the email, and Pitch Wars in the subject line.
I look forward to reading!
Rubin Pfeffer Content